I am having issues using my Windows Phone on any wifi network, because for some reason DNS lookup doesn't seem to be working. I discovered it first when I was for holiday in Germany last week and suspected the wireless network of my accomodation to be the cause. However, a Windows netbook and Android phone connected fine.
Later, in Luxemburg when connected to an eduroam network and free network from the MacDonalds, DNS also failed. Now I am at my own country but I have used all my data of my cellular subscription so I have disabled my data connection but I am still having the same issues.
The following symptoms occur:
- No connection via DNS names like 'google.nl' but accessing websites via IP address works fine
- Phone is actually accessible via network and pingable
- Marketplace and other applications also fail due to mentioned DNS issue
- Whatsapp push looks like to continue to function
- Recently visited sites properly open, probably due to DNS caching
- Rebooting doesn't help, but only clears out the DNS cache
Unfortunately when searching for this issue on the internet, I can't find similar results. What is the proper solution to this? It seems my phone doesn't use the DNS server appointed by DHCP but tries to use the cellular provider DNS server?
I have a Nokia Lumia 800 with Windows Phone Tango.