So I have struggled with this a few times; in the hope this helps someone else follow these steps.
A couple of notes:
- These instructions include details for GMX mail, but it should help if you are having issues with receiving email on your Windows Phone
- Set up like this I have avoided most error messages including "there is a problem with the certificate for"
- These are instructions for using IMAP; you can adjust for using POP though I'd always recommend IMAP
- You will notice the server is gmx.com; I have a .co.uk address and the two play nicely together
- After the "Incoming email server" notice how I have not entered any port numbers (some sites suggest imap.gmx.com:993)
1. Start fresh
It has given me problems before because it has recognise the email etc - so delete the email account if you have already tried to set it up.
2. Go in to Settings>Email+Accounts>Add an Account>Advanced Set Up
Make sure you select advanced and not other account
3. Enter your email/password
4. Select "Internet Email"
5. Set the following settings
- Account Name = Whatever
- Your Name = Whatever
- Incoming email server = imap.gmx.com
- Account Type = IMAP
- Username = Your GMX Email
- Password = Your password
- Outgoing = smtp.gmx.com
- Outgoing server requires... = CHECKED
- Use the same username... = CHECKED
- [Advanced] Require SSL for incoming = CHECKED
- [Advanced] Require SSL for outgoing = BLANK