Windows Phone 8 device has support for
NFC chipset)? Are there any
Windows 7.8 or lower devices that support
Does every Windows Phone 8 device has support for NFC tag(the NFC chipset)?
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor or Snapdragon 800
- Minimum 512 MB RAM for WVGA phones; minimum 1 GB RAM for 720p / WXGA / 1080p
- Minimum 4 GB flash memory
- GPS and A-GNSS; GLONASS is supported if OEMs decide to include it
- Support for micro-USB 2.0
- 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack with three-button detection support
- Rear-facing AF camera with optional LED or Xenon flash, optional front-facing camera (both need to be VGA or better) and dedicated camera button
- Accelerometer, proximity and ambient light sensors, as well as vibration motor (magnetometer and gyroscope are optional)
- 802.11b/g and Bluetooth (802.11n is optional)
- DirectX graphics hardware support with hardware acceleration for Direct3D using programmable GPU
- Multi-touch capacitive touch screen with minimum of four simultaneous points
Hence, it is not necessary for every Windows Phone 8 device to have NFC.
Are there any Windows 7.8 or lower devices that support NFC tags?
This list of all Windows Phone 7.x devices can be cross-referenced with this list of all NFC-enabled devices to find the subset you are looking for.
No, not all Windows Phone 8 devices have NFC but you'll find it's only missing on the lowest end devices for cost reasons, such as the Nokia Lumia 520.
Windows Phone 7 has no support for NFC with one exception, which is the Lumia 610. As no platform support was provided for developers, NFC functionality on this phone was very limited and no app could support or extend it - unlike on Windows Phone 8.