If you have carrier unlocked (not developer unlock) a Windows Phone, how did you do it and how long after the phone's release were you able to do it. I have succesfully carrier unlocked an htc Surround and a Samsung Focus, but I'm still trying to unlock my htc Titan.
The trick to unlocking a Windows Phone is:
- Have the correct unlock code. You need to know your IMEI number to obtain one. Entering
*#06#in the dialler will bring it up. Sometimes a carrier will provide the code for free. It doesn't hurt to ask before buying one online.
- Insert a SIM card from a different carrier, in order to get the PIN prompt to appear.
I was able to easily get an unlock code for under $5 on eBay (> 1 year after release). I like to use eBay to get unlock codes because the seller feedback will usually provide a good indication of how legit their service is.
Basically, you get enter your IME number at http://www.cellunlocker.net/, and it will give you an unlock code along with instructions on how to do it. I haven't looked into the site, but if it is legit Maybe it will be what you need.
I've unlocked a Windows Phone before (LG Optimus 7 E900h in Telcel, Mexico) and this is what I had to do:
Before starting, be sure to check if your phone may already be unlocked by inserting a SIM card from another carrier. If it works, don't continue :)
- Go to http://www.unlockallcellular.com/
- Select you brand and model on the left
- Get your phone's IMEI by going to the phone app and dialing
- Select your carrier, enter you IMEI and buy the code
- In a short while (might take a few days max), they will email you your unlock code
- Put a SIM card from another carrier. An error will pop up and you have the option of entering a code.
- Enter the unlock code.
If all went well, your phone should be unlocked.